Learn About This Location
Casa Grande was established in 1879 during the AZ mining boom, primarily due to the proximity of the Southern Pacific Railroad. In January 1880, the community of Terminus was established despite the fact it contained only five residents living in three buildings. In September 1880, railroad executives changed the name of the outpost to Casa Grande, after the Hohokam ruins at nearby Casa Grande Ruins National Monument. Casa Grande grew at a slow pace and suffered several setbacks both in 1886 and 1893, when fires destroyed parts of the town, engulfing all wooden housing structures within it. The town was nearly abandoned as mining slowed, but with the introduction of agriculture, the town remained alive and well, and was eventually incorporated in 1915.