Learn About This Location
Originally inhabited by the Potawatomi tribe, Deerfield was settled in 1835 as Cadwell's Corner. A shopping area at the site of Cadwell's farm still bears this original name. Deerfield grew because of the navigable rivers in the area, in particular the Des Plaines and Chicago rivers. By 1840, the town's name was changed to Leclair, but within a few years John Millen proposed a name change to Deerfield because of the large number of deer in the area. The village's first school, Wilmot School, was originally a one-room schoolhouse, but is now an elementary school with 550 students.