Learn About This Location
Englewood's history began when gold was discovered on the Little Dry Creek in 1858. In 1860, Thomas Skerritt, considered to be the city's founder, built a homestead in the area. The first road connecting Orchard Place with the rest of Denver was made by Skerritt himself.
Cherrelyn horsecar path was laid in 1883. The Cherrelyn trolley was an important city icon, as it drew commuters up Broadway by horse. Englewood was incorporated in 1903, with J.C. Jones as the first city mayor. In 1905 Swedish National Sanitorium was founded, which would become the massive Swedish Medical Center. 1906 brought the first paved roads and lit streets, and the police and fire departments were established a year later.