Learn About This Location
In 1839 the town of Kinnikennick was divided to form Franklin, whose name was given in homage Benjamin Franklin. The township consisted of a thirty-six square mile area that was originally heavily forested with hardwoods such as hickory, walnut, and butternut; and with an abundance of wildlife including bears, deer, and wolves. In the '50s, Franklin was known as a “City of homes” for its vast residential areas, full of people who commuted to Milwaukee. In 1956, town officials were worried by the possibility that Milwaukee might try to annex portions of Franklin, so they officially incorporated the town on August 15, 1956.