Learn About This Location
Hopkinsville was initially staked in 1796 by Bartholomew Wood as part of a grant rewarding his service in the Revolutionary War. Wood and his wife moved from Jonesborough, Tennessee, first to a cabin closeby to what is today Seventh and Bethel streets; then to another near 14th and Campbell.
After the establishment of Christian County, the Woods gave 5 acres of land to form its seat of government. By 1798, a courthouse, jail, and stray pen had been built. The Kentucky Assembly christened the town as "Hopkinsville" in 1804 in honor of the veteran and state representative Samuel Hopkins.