Learn About This Location
McKinney was incorporated in 1859 on 120 donated acres of land, and adopted the commission form of government in 1913. For its first 125, it served as the principal commercial center for the county, providing farmers with flour, corn, and cotton mills, cotton gins, a cotton compress, and a cottonseed oil mill, along with other basic infrastructure. Eventually there would be a textile mill, an ice company, a dairy, and a garment manufacturer. In 1953, McKinney had a population over 10,000 and included 355 businesses. By 2000, McKinney had grown to 54,369 people with over 2,000 businesses, and in 2006, the population had doubled.