Learn About This Location
Warner Robins was was named for General Augustine Warner Robins of the United States Air Force. In its beginning the town had a small sawmill and a grocery store, and was surrounded by peach orchards. However, in June 1941, the U.S. government began construction on an air base that was initially called Wellston Army Air Depot when it opened in 1942. Soon thereafter on October 14, 1942, the base was renamed to become Warner Robins Army Air Depot.