Learn About This Location
Early Warsaw was comprised of traders, trappers, and merchants supplying goods to farmers in the area. Because of its central location, tourists soon began visiting Warsaw and eventually made permanent residences in the city, with businesses soon following suit. In 1854, Warsaw became a town, with a total of 752 residents. The Pennsylvania Railroad reached Warsaw in November 1854, and the Big Four Railroad arrived in 1870.
In 1895, Revra DePuy founded DePuy Manufacturing to make wire mesh and wooden splints, and would become the world's first manufacturer of orthopedic appliances. Warsaw is known today as the "orthopaedic capital of the world."